Sunday, June 13, 2010

More about Rhys

Sorry this is later than I wanted but I wasn't able to get very many good pictures of Rhys since he is very sleepy and has had a little eye infection which is no good for cute pictures. I'll post more pictures when he gets better. So now for the exciting details of his birth =)

I went in for my appointment that morning and the doctor wanted to do a routine ultrasound just to see how everything was going. He discovered that the amniotic fluid levels were low which means the placenta isn't working as well as it should. It was not an emergency, the fluid level was a 6 and the cut off is a 5, so the doctor left the decision up the Evan and I. I called Evan, who was in a meeting downtown, and asked him if he wanted to have a baby that day. I explained that I hadn't felt Rhys moving as much that morning and really just wanted to get him here safe and sound. We decided to go in and have the doctor break my water. When I went in I was 3 cm after an hour and only 3 contractions that were mildly uncomfortable I was 5 cm. Since I have a history of going fast (Spencer and Sophia were unmedicated since I didn't have a choice) I thought it would be best to get an epidural then. So of course after that I felt nothing the rest of the 3 hours until he was born. Pretty cool =) When he was born he had the cord around his neck so he was a little blue but pinked up quickly.

Rhys is a sleepy baby, something we have never known the goodness of, he didn't have jaundice, and so far it looks like he doesn't have acid reflux either (Spencer and Sophia had both jaundice and acid reflux). We feel very blessed! We are so grateful for the sweet spirit he has brought to our home. There is just something special about having a new little baby in your home. We are so thankful we get to have that again.


2 comments:

Carrie said...

ADORABLE PICTURES!! You are right - there is something incredible about having that new little spirit in your arms and home. Not saying we're quite ready for another newborn yet . . . but they are amazing. Thanks for the spelling explanation. Way to just go for it. I think family names are cool.

Kit said...

What a Cutie pants!!
I love him already.